Monday, October 1, 2007

Classic novel about Andean life

Have you ever heard of the book Secret of the Andes? It was the Newbery Medal winner in 1953 (the same year Charlotte's Web was published). I admit I just learned about it, but after having read it, I'm glad it came to my attention!

In Secret of the Andes a young llama herder is raised to carry out a secret mission, but must first decide if he is willing to do so. Cusi, the boy, is given the opportunity to live a normal life, but decides that the his foster father's Incan secret is more important to protect.

While this book was published more than fifty years ago, it has what appears to be a balanced perspective on Andean life. I really enjoyed reading about Cusi's first contact with Peruvians of Spanish and mixed heritage.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes adventure or mystery, or to those who are interested in Peruvian and Andean culture.

No comments: